What Are The Most Highly Tested MBE Topics?
The Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) tests many areas of law. It does not, however, necessarily test these areas equally! To get a high MBE score, you need to focus your attention most strongly on the areas most likely to appear within a topic. For example, Civil Procedure questions on the MBE are more likely to touch on jurisdiction and venue issues than appealability and review ones. So, what are the most highly tested MBE topics?
What Are The Most Highly Tested MBE Topics?
Torts: (25 questions)
- Negligence – 12-13 questions
- Strict Liability and Products Liability – 3-5 questions
- Intentional Torts – 3-5 questions
- Other Torts – 3-5 questions
Evidence: (25 questions)
- Relevancy and Reasons for Excluding Relevant Evidence – 8-9 questions
- Hearsay and Circumstances of its Admissibility – 6-7 questions
- Presentation of Evidence – 6-7 questions
- Privileges and Other Policy Exclusions – approx. 2 questions
- Writings, Recordings, and Photographs – approx. 2 questions
Real Property: (25 questions)
- Real Estate Contracts – approx. 5 questions
- Mortgages/Security Devices – approx. 5 questions
- Ownership of Property – approx. 5 questions
- Rights in Land – approx. 5 questions
- Title to Property – approx. 5 questions
Contracts and Sales: (25 questions)
- Formation of Contracts – 6-7 questions
- Performance, Breach, and Discharge – 6-7 questions
- Defenses to Contract Enforceability – 3-4 questions
- Parol Evidence and Interpretation – 3-4 questions
- Contract Remedies – 3-4 questions
- Third-Party Rights – 3-4 questions
(About 6-7 of the questions will be on UCC Article 2 and revised Article 1)
Civil Procedure (25 questions)
- Jurisdiction and Venue – 5-6 questions
- Pretrial Procedures – 5-6 questions
- Motions – 5-6 questions
- Law Applied by Federal Courts – 2-3 questions
- Jury Trials – 2-3 questions
- Verdicts and Judgments 2-3 questions
- Appealability and Review – 2-3 questions
Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure: (25 questions)
- Constitutional Protections of Accused Persons (Criminal Procedure) – 12-13 questions
- Homicide – 3-4 questions
- Other Crimes – 3-4 questions
- Inchoate Crimes, Parties – 3-4 questions
- General Principles of Criminal Law – 3-4 questions
Constitutional Law: (25 questions)
- Individual Rights – 12-13 questions
- The Nature of Judicial Review – 3-5 questions
- Separation of Powers – 3-5 questions
- The Relation of Nation and States (Federalism) – 3-5 questions
This chart sums up the highly tested MBE topics in order of most-to-least tested:
This chart and these percentages are based on the National Conference of Bar Examiners’ subject matter outlines which you can find here.
If you are looking for additional tips on the MBE, click here. We have tons of MBE tips and tricks!
Looking for additional MBE help? If you are looking for MBE help, read our 10 expert MBE tips here. Check out our step-by-step guide to improving your MBE score, please review this post for an overview of tips. This is a great free MBE resource. If you would like to receive our MBE tip of the day emailed to you, please fill out the form below.
Looking for more MBE resources?
- Check out our MBE guide here. It comes with a 7-point MBE increase guarantee or your money back! You can purchase it online or in a hard copy.
- Purchase our MBE one-sheets here! We give you an overview of each MBE subject in one convenient page, front and back. They serve as a great tool for review.
- Looking for a private MBE tutor? Read more about our MBE tutoring services here. If you are wondering if it is worth it to hire an MBE tutor, please check out this post.
- We have an MBE seminar for students looking to learn strategies to improve their MBE scores. Sign up for our MBE seminar here!
- Wondering what skill you need to work on most to improve your MBE score – comprehension, application, or memorization? Check out our MBE diagnostic here.
- Want some free tips? Sign up for our MBE strategies series here! It is free and we remove you from the email list once the bar exam is over!
Ashley Heidemann is the owner and founder of JD Advising. Ms. Heidemann scored over a 180 on the Michigan Bar Exam in February of 2011 after graduating as the #1 student in her law school class of over 200 students in 2011. She, as well as a team of others, offer bar exam courses, seminars, and private tutoring for bar exam students nationwide. This includes services for the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) and Michigan bar exam. Please click here to contact her company, with any questions.