Increase your MBE score by 7 points on your next practice exam or your money back!*
*See details below in the FAQ section.
We know what bar exam students struggle with. We work with hundreds of students each bar exam administration to help them improve their Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) scores. And we have created a new product – our MBE Guide – to help you improve your MBE score.
Our MBE Guide illuminates some very tricky areas of law and covers some highly tested concepts — all in a readable and easy to understand format. We also give you strategies for how to approach specific topics so you are more likely to answer MBE questions right when you see those topics tested.
This MBE guide is not an encyclopedia of MBE law. It does not cover every topic in depth. Rather, it is more like a series of snapshots. We cover several areas that students do not understand or that commercial courses do not cover well, including:
- mortgage priority
- battle of the forms
- the difference between party admission and statement against interest
- “what is a wild animal and why do I always get trespasser questions wrong?”
- default judgments
- the dormant commerce clause
- how the automobile exception differs from search incident to arrest
These are just some of the many areas the MBE Guide covers. A full list of topics can be found in the FAQ section below.
Besides clearing up some otherwise frustrating areas of law, we strive to help you remember what you learned. We include charts and diagrams. We have practice problems and hypotheticals. We do this all in 12 pages per subject. You can see the law in a different light in the amount of time it takes to watch your favorite Netflix show.
More Details about the Guide:
The MBE Guide focuses on the areas of law on the MBE that students tend to have trouble with. Areas in each MBE subject are covered in about 12 pages per subject. The guide does not cover every topic that is tested on the MBE. (That would be impossible to do in 12 pages!) Rather the pages cover the following:
- They focus on common topic areas that students tend to have trouble with or that commercial courses do not cover well. (You can see the table of contents below if you are wondering what these are.)
- They contain multiple-choice questions and hypothetical questions written by JD Advising to illustrate strategies for specific topics as well as mistakes that students tend to make.
- They are written in “layman’s terms” to break down concepts and make them easy to understand.
- They also contain colorful charts and diagrams.
You may purchase this guide electronically or in print form. The goal of the guide is to give you tips and information so that you can answer at least one more question correctly per subject. That would allow you to answer a minimum of 7 more questions correctly.
If you do not see your MBE score increase by at least 7 points after studying this guide or if you otherwise find it does not meet your needs, you can get your money back. Please see the FAQ below for details on our money-back guarantee.
You can see a few pictures of the Contracts portion of the guide below. You can see the full Contracts portion of the guide here.
The Guide and the Seminar:
The MBE Guide covers substantive law as well as strategies relating to particular topics that you can expect to be tested on the MBE. The MBE seminar, which you can purchase in conjunction with the guide, is 3 hours long and focuses exclusively on strategies to improve your MBE score. The MBE seminar is held online in a very small group setting. The February 2018 MBE seminar will be held on Friday January 19 at 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST.
Purchase the Guide:
- To help protect the product from being shared, the pages of the guide will be stamped with your name and address found on PayPal.
- If you order the electronic copy of the guide, please check your spam box! A few customers have notified us that the copy has landed in their spam box.
- The February 2018 MBE seminar is held online on Friday January 19 at 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST. If you sign up for the option that includes the seminar, the MBE Guide and the MBE Seminar handout will be sent to you via Priority mail as soon as full payment is received.
- For international shipping options, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions about the MBE Guide
How long is the guide?
The substance of the guide is 90 pages long. We cover each subject in about twelve pages.
The guide does all of the following:
- It focuses on common topic areas that students tend to have trouble with. (You can see the table of contents below if you are wondering what these are.)
- It contains multiple-choice questions and hypothetical questions written by JD Advising to illustrate strategies for specific topics as well as mistakes that students tend to make.
- It is written in “layman’s terms” to break down concepts and make them easy to understand.
- It also contains colorful charts and diagrams.
Can I see a sample of the guide?
Yes, you can see a sample of the Contracts portion here.
Does it give you an overview of all MBE topics?
No! It goes through topics that students tend to get confused on and highly tested topics. It does not cover all of these. The goal is to get you a few more questions right in each subject area. Indeed, if you only got one question right on the MBE in each subject area because of this guide, that is seven additional questions – which can make a huge difference in your overall score.
Will I really see my score increase by 7 points if I purchase the guide?
If you purchase the guide, read it thoroughly, memorize the areas of law it instructs you to memorize, then you should see your score increase by at least 7 points. This is because the guide covers: (a) some of the highly tested areas of law on the MBE; and (b) areas of law that commercial bar review courses do not cover well but that still show up regularly on the MBE.
If you just purchase the guide and never look at it or barely review it, probably not ;)
What topics does the guide cover?
The table of contents is below. This gives you an overview of the topics covered by the guide.
Civil Procedure – Page 1 – 13
- (1) Introductory tips – page 1
- (2) Process and service of Process – page 1 – 3
- (3) General and specific jurisdiction – page 3 – 6
- (4) Subject matter jurisdiction timing of challenge – page 6 – 7
- (5) Justifications for different types of subject matter jurisdiction – page 7 – 11
- (6) Impleader and default judgments – page 11 – 13
Constitutional Law – page 14 – 25
- (1) Introductory tips – page 14
- (2) Some of Congress’s powers – page 14 – 16
- (3) Substantive due process – page 16 – page 18
- (4) Equal Protection – page 18 – 20
- (5) The dormant commerce clause – page 21 – 23
- (6) Free speech (a few common traps) – page 23 – 25
Contracts and Sales – page 26 – 38
- (1) Introductory tips – page 26
- (2) Performance obligations – page 26 – 28
- (3) Rejection v. revocation of acceptance of goods – page 29 – 31
- (4) Common law mirror image rule and UCC 2-207 – page 31 – 38
Criminal Law and Procedure page 39 – 51
- (1) Introductory tips – page 39
- (2) Mens rea – page 39 – 40
- (3) Accomplice liability – page 41 – 42
- (4) Homicide – page 42 – 45
- (5) Fourth Amendment (automobile exception v. search and seizure) – page 46 – 48
- (6) The Exclusionary rule – page 49 – 50
- (7) The privilege against self-incrimination (pleading the fifth) – 50 – 51
Evidence – page 52 – 64
- (1) Introductory tips – page 52
- (2) Hearsay exclusions and exceptions (party admission, statement against interest, dying declaration, prior inconsistent statement) – page 52 – 59
- (3) Character evidence – page 59 – 63
- (4) Best Evidence Rule – page 63 – 64
Real Property – page 65 – 77
- (1) Introductory tips – page 65
- (2) Recording acts – page 65 – 68
- (3) Priority disputes involving mortgages – page 68 – 71
- (4) Assumption, novation, and taking property subject to a mortgage page 71
- (5) Marketability and risk of loss – page 72 – 74
- (6) Joint tenancies – page 74 – 77
Torts – page 78 – 90
- (1) Introductory tips – page 78
- (2) Classifying torts – page 78 – 79
- (3) Causation – page 79 – 81
- (4) Harm – page 81 – 82
- (5) Comparative negligence and joint-and-several liability – page 82 – 85
- (6) Wild animals – page 85 – 88
- (7) Negligent infliction of emotional distress and intentional infliction of emotional distress—a brief overview – page 88-90
Can I purchase the MBE guide electronically? How big is the file?
Yes. The file is 1 MB. The MBE guide will be emailed to you automatically upon purchase. You will receive a download link within a few minutes of ordering the guide. To help protect the product from being shared, the pages of the guide will be stamped with your name and address found on PayPal. Please check your spam box if you do not receive the guide soon after purchasing it!
The MBE seminar comes with a PDF that is approximately 40 pages long. It contains multiple-choice questions that the leader of the workshop will dissect with you. It also contains several MBE strategies.
It is helpful to combine the MBE seminar with the guide because the guide focuses on substantive law as well as tips for specific topic areas. The seminar focuses primarily on dissecting MBE questions and general MBE strategies so you can see your score improve.
The February 2018 MBE Strategies seminar will be held online on January 19, 2018 from 12:00 PM EST until approximately 3:00 PM EST. Questions and discussion are encouraged at the MBE seminar.
How long will it take me to read the guide?
If you just read it front to back, it would probably take about 10 minutes per subject. However, the best way to use the guide is to aim to spend about 40 minutes to 60 minutes per subject to not only read the guide but answer the problems, follow the instructions, and memorize the law.
Do you offer a money back guarantee?
For the electronic guide: If within 30 days of purchasing the guide, you are not satisfied for any reason, you can get your money back by emailing us at email@example.com and requesting your money back. We will give you a full refund so long as the refund is requested within 30 days of purchase but no later than February 28, 2018, which is the day the MBE is administered.
For the hard copy: If you choose the hard copy guide, you can get your money back so long as you notify us within 30 days of purchase that you are sending the guide back and within that 30 days you send the guide back to us at your expense. Either way, this must be before February 28, 2018. (We will give you a full refund as soon as we receive the guide.)
For the seminar: We do not give refunds for the guide as you are receiving the guide complimentary to the seminar. We do not give refunds for the seminar.
They are below:
- I certify that I am a person intending to take the multistate bar exam (MBE). I am not an employee or agent of another tutoring or bar review course, nor am I a member, employee, affiliate, or agent of any board of bar examiner’s.
- I certify that I will not sell, share, copy, post photos of, or allow anyone — in person or online — to view or have this MBE guide in any form. I understand that they are the copyrighted work product of JD Advising, LLC. I agree not to sell the MBE guide on Amazon, eBay, on any other site, to any other institution, or privately.
- I further agree that this MBE guide does not promise to cover everything — or anything — on a given MBE, and that there are no warranties as to the accuracy of the information presented herein.
- I agree that an injunction is an appropriate remedy if I improperly share materials. I also agree to pay JD Advising, LLC $100 per person that I share the MBE guide with.