Why it is worth it to hire a Multistate Bar Exam Tutor: The Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) is worth approximately 50% of your score in most jurisdictions, including Uniform Bar Exam jurisdictions. Even jurisdictions, like New York, (where the Multistate Bar Exam used to be worth 40%) have now increased it to being worth 50% after adopting the Uniform Bar Exam. California will also increase the weight of the MBE score to 50% (up from 35%) in July 2017.
Not only is the Multistate Bar Exam worth a large part of your overall bar exam score on its own but if you increase your knowledge of the law tested on the Multistate Bar Exam, you will also likely increase your essay score. Many subjects that are tested on the Multistate Bar Exam (Real Property, Evidence, Torts, Constitutional Law, Contracts & Sales, Criminal Law & Procedure, and Civil Procedure) are “double tested” on the essay portion of state exams (including states that offer the Uniform Bar Exam).
Meeting with a Multistate Bar Exam tutor one-on-one can be extremely effective for students who:
- Do not learn well in a large-group lecture hall format and prefer one-on-one conversations.
- Like to be able to ask questions and receive more in-depth explanations on certain topics.
- Did not do well their first year of law school (perhaps because they struggle with the Socratic Method style of questioning).
- Took longer than three years to complete law school (so remember less of the material that is tested on the MBE).
- Are simply looking to maximize their chances of passing the bar exam and feel comfortable having a tutor that can keep them accountable and affirm that they are on-track throughout their bar exam studies.
We offer an Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) tutoring program, designed by myself, Ashley Heidemann. I was fortunate to obtain a top score of 180 on the Multistate Bar Exam. In this post, we tell you how a Multistate Bar Exam tutor can help you pass the bar exam and why it is worth it to hire a tutor for the Multistate Bar Exam.
How a Multistate Bar Exam Tutor Can Help you Pass the Bar Exam:
A Multistate Bar Exam Tutor (MBE Tutor) can help you in the following ways:
A Multistate Bar Exam Tutor can make learning the law an easier and more efficient process. For example, we provide extremely well-organized and easy-to-learn outlines. Our outlines highlight the most highly-tested area of MBE law so that you can focus on what you absolutely need to know to pass the MBE. Students say that our MBE outlines are “gold” and find them significantly easier to learn than the often-lengthy and poorly-organized outlines provided by some commercial courses.
A Multistate Bar Exam Tutor can determine what you struggle with. Identifying what you struggle with is important because then we can tailor our MBE sessions to that. We offer an MBE diagnostic so we can determine if you are struggling with comprehension of the law, memorization of the law, or application of the law.
A Multistate Bar Exam tutor can teach you how to practice. We teach you a slow and methodical approach to the MBE. We show you how to improve through practice. Rather than answering thousands of questions, we recommend you slow down and answer less questions per day but answer them well. (Please read this Guide to Improving your MBE Score if you would like a taste of what our method looks like!)
A Multistate Bar Exam Tutor can help you improve your timing. If you struggle with timing, we can go over tips for improvement. We also offer timed exams to students who are struggling with the MBE.
A Multistate Bar Exam Tutor can answer all of your questions. If something is not clear or if you need to go over it again, a Multistate Bar Exam tutor can answer all of your questions. If you have a question about a major topic or even a nuance of law, we answer all of your questions.
A Multistate Bar Exam Tutor can help you make your ideal bar study schedule. Half of the battle when studying for the bar exam is learning when to study, how long to study, and what to study! We help students plan their schedule (by day and by week). Students who meet with us once a week will receive a weekly list of assignments to complete.
A Multistate Bar Exam Tutor can provide exactly what you need. Instead of going to a lecture with hundreds of students or watching videos online, an MBE tutor can tailor a schedule to you. If you are only looking for tutoring for one or two subjects (the most popular are Real Property and Contracts) we are happy to come up with a tutoring plan that covers only those subjects. If you want to meet for all seven MBE subjects (which we generally recommend if you want to see the most dramatic improvement in your score) we are happy to do that too.
In short, no matter what state you are in, the MBE is worth a large portion of your score and must be taken very seriously. Fortunately, as mentioned above, a bar exam tutor can help you increase your score significantly.
We are not only tutors but also mentors and advisors. If you have any questions about tutoring, please do not hesitate to contact us. We have helped several students pass the bar exam and are happy to find a plan that fits your needs and your budget!
Additional Uniform Bar Exam Resources:
If you are looking for additional help to prepare for the Uniform Bar Exam, we offer the following resources:
- Uniform Bar Exam Tutoring Services – tailored to you: To read more about our Uniform Bar Exam tutoring services (including MEE and MPT services), please click on our Uniform Bar Exam Services page.
- UBE Course: We offer an elite, personalized small-group Uniform Bar Exam course that fills up quickly! If you are interested in this course, we recommend early application! Please read more about the course here.
- MBE Services: We have several MBE services, including MBE one-sheets, an MBE Guide (that comes with a 7-point increase guarantee!), an MBE diagnostic if you are not sure where you are struggling, MBE private tutoring , and an MBE Seminar. Not sure which one is right for you? Contact us!
- MEE Services: We offer several MEE services, including an MEE Course (which covers highly tested MEE subjects), an MEE seminar that covers the highly tested areas of law on the MEE as well as predictions! We recommend early application if you are interested in this option. We also have highly regarded MEE one-sheets and essay feedback.
- MPT services: We offer MPT services including private tutoring, essay feedback and a MPT Seminar. We also sell MPT books with questions, answers, and model student answers.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at your convenience.
Ashley Heidemann is the owner and founder of JD Advising. Ms. Heidemann scored over a 180 on the Michigan Bar Exam in February of 2011 after graduating as the #1 student in her law school class of over 200 students in 2011. She, as well as a team of others, offer bar exam courses, seminars, and private tutoring for bar exam students nationwide. This includes services for the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) and Michigan bar exam. Please click here to contact her company, with any questions.